Thursday, September 16, 2010

Moving to Rexburg

So I never thought I'd start a blog but now that I've moved away I thought it might be a nice way to communicate with family and friends. I've always appreciated being able to read blogs of people that I don't get to see very often, not to mention it can be a good journal for me!
So Justin and I moved to Rexburg, ID about 4 weeks ago. I can't believe it's already been that long, but at the same time Justin and I already feel like this is home, so it makes sense!
The weekend we packed and moved was a sad and busy weekend. Justin and I had the whole weekend scheduled to get everything done, but then there was a hiccup. Justin's dog, Oso, broke his back and became paralyzed Friday afternoon. Oso had been living with Justin's parents. So Saturday morning instead of Justin being there to help empty our storage unit, he had to put his dog down. Then Justin went to his grandparents to bury him. Although I don't personally understand the connection with a dog, I know Justin considers a dog as "man's best friend", and it was really hard for him. Luckily
Justin and I have family that is incredibly helpful. Justin's cousins Jason and Jordan came with their trucks along with my cousin Rose who came with hers, and then I had Justin's truck! My brother Nathan also came to help load. We went down to our storage unit and loaded everything up. I must say, truck beds don't hold very much. Our unit wasn't that full but after filling all four trucks there was still a book shelf and rocking chair that we had to come back for. We unloaded everything into my parents garage to sit until we got the moving van. Then Rose, Nathan, and my Mom helped me pack up Justin and I's room all afternoon. We finished in time to go out to dinner with some friends that night, everything worked out fine, minus Justin's tragedy. Thank goodness for helpful family. My brother Aaron and his family also arrived Saturday night, it was so fun to have them around! Justin and I picked up our massive moving van on Sunday. Then Monday morning Daniel came over and my Dad, Aaron, Daniel, Justin and I packed up the van, it actually went quite smoothly. My brother Benjamin and his family moved to Utah a couple months ago but they weren't able to fit all of their stuff into their moving van. So Justin and I got an extra big van so that we could fit the remainder of their belongings (Justin says junk!) into our truck to drop off on our way through Utah. Justin and my Dad went and loaded all of their stuff. Then we had all evening to hang out and say goodbye to everyone.
Justin and I got up at 4:00am and were out the door by 4:30. Justin drove the moving van and I drove Justin's truck. My Mom and Dad brought my car up a little later. It was such a long drive. Especially with Justin in the moving van who couldn't go above 70 mph. We made it to Ben and Megan's in Utah by about 6:30pm. My butt hurt so much for sitting for so so so long. We unloaded all of their stuff into their storage unit and then spent a nice evening with them. We slept in and had a nice morning then drove the last four hours up to Rexburg. Albert (my sister Rachel's husband who also lives up here) and some guys in our complex helped us unload. I was a little disappointed our sectional couch wouldn't fit into the front room, but besides that I like our new place. Luckily Rachel and Albert had some horrible couches and a large front room so now they have our sectional. Rachel and Al helped us unpack the next day and we were pretty much all settled in by Thursday night.

We live up on top of a little hill that looks over the town just down from the temple and right across the street from the BYU-I campus. It's a perfect spot and a beautiful view! My sister Rachel lives down the street but on the other side of the highway, about 5 minutes away. We've been hanging out with them a lot! It's so fun to get to be
by my sister again, we haven't lived near each other for 6 years, before I moved to Connecticut. The weather up here is amazing, ranging between days where the highs are in the 50's and days where they're in the upper 70's, it's wonderful, I love whipping out all of my winter clothes! Justin and I feel great about our move here and we're really settling in nicely!

4 comments:

  1. I knew you would convert to blogging! =) can't wait to hear/read all your adventures in Idaho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so excited you started a blog. luckily i checked my old e-mail and saw it. we use guserinkennedy@gmail.com for future! Now i can see and hear all the fun things going on with you two. sure do miss playing games. Its kind of lonely here but we are adjusting. im sure we will see you guys soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you started a blog! I can't believe it's already been 4 weeks either! Too bad about Justin's dog. I bet Rachel is happy to have your sectional. Yes, it's a beautiful view! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting to hear good news on a job for YOU! Love the picture of you and Justin! You two are a match made in Heaven... as only a mother could put it! Can you send us some cooler weather? It was 107 here today! That's just wrong! Tomorrow is October!!!!

    ReplyDelete